Creating 301 Redirects can be a fiddly job, writing out a redirect one by one can take an age – even for an SEO with experience we don’t want to be sat there writing out the redirects. So instead to make the process a little quicker I have created a 301 Generator in Excel, this spreadsheet is to accompany my SEO Checklist for Website Relaunches.
There are a few ways to use this spreadsheet, below is the most basic and helpful use that ANY website owner could use. This 301 generator is not just for those relaunching a website but also those who just need to create a bunch of redirects.
How to use my 301 Generator Spreadsheet
- Download the FREE 301 Generator Spreadsheet – Get it here
or use the link within the SEO Checklist PDF
- Enter your Old / Bad Url into Col A (the non-domain part only)
If you have a spreadsheet such as the “404 list” download from Google Webmaster Tools (diagnostics>crawl errors>404s) or a sitemap in a spreadsheet you can copy and paste these over.
- Enter the New URL (url to redirect to, including domain) in Col B
- Copy Col D output and Paste to your Htaccess file
Then save an upload this, and test your redirects fully.
Some Important Notes:
- This spreadsheet is only for .htaccess files and not web.config redirects
- You should Always backup your file .htaccess file before editing
- You should Always test your redirects (never assume they work)